Monday, November 12, 2012

Raise Your Marshmallow Stick!


Furngullys,

How goes it? Oh, it is good to hear from you, fams. Wow, it is really weird to see snow in your pictures. I hope you are very much enjoying it and yes, I shed my green colors and have officially turned one year (40 in mission years) and man does it feel just not at all real. It just kinda seems weird that it changed to where I have less than a year left. Bit of a scary thought but, none-the-less, a cool thing. For my year-day we got a pizza, an ice cream cake and had a very chill lunch. It was a great day.

We also worked in San Lorenzo and, as we were going on the bus to go up there, we saw a European couple on the bus. Through talking with them we found out they were from Belgium, were vacationing in San Lorenzo, and could speak English, French, Dutch, and who knows what else. We then talked about languages and they asked me asked me if I could speak French so I proceeded to recite the first verse and chorus of "Ça plane por moi". Then I asked them (since they were native Dutch speakers) if the term "hoe gaat het mevrouw" means anything (you know, the phrase Kirby Heyborne always said in The Best Two Years). They were very happy and surprised when they heard me say that. So yes, I did get to use some Dutch on my mission—check!

After that we had a lesson with a Catholic family and, at the end when we asked if we could close with a prayer, they said “yes” and immediately dropped to their knees, cupped their hands in the air, and chanted a prayer really loudly for like, 2 minutes. I really could relate to Ricky Bobby when he said "I'm not sure what to do with my hands". After that fun lesson we were walking along and saw this huge frog. Like, it was the biggest thing I've ever seen—seriously the size of a soccer ball. Elder Inman has a picture of me with it so next week I'll send it to you—it was nuts, man.

On other notes of our travels in San Lorenzo: We went to the house of a lady whose son was killed just about a month ago. We had a great lesson with her. When we explained that she could see her son again she just stopped us and said "Oh yes, I already believe that, I know it". It was a really nice and peaceful moment. A lot of the churches here preach "They're dead....oh well" but this woman already had the faith that she's going to see her son again someday. It was a lovely, encouraging example of faith. Her name is the Hermana Cordoba. We are hoping to continue talking to her.

We also had a great lesson with this family called the Familia Ruiz. We talked about prayer and, at the end, the 12 year old named Mauro offered to give the closing prayer. As he was giving the prayer he stopped talking. We were wondering if something was wrong. He was crying. He finished the prayer and, pretty much, the day of the Pentecost rolled in; the spirit just filled the room. He was crying, the little sister started crying. It's really incredible to see people's reactions when they start to feel the Holy Ghost for the first time in their lives—it's really touching.

We had interviews this week and that went very well. It was nice to talk to Pres and the Hermana. They are so nice and funny too. I love them. Its just like having temp parents nearby. They came and inspected our pench and gave us the all good. They also gave us the okay to get an oven (which we just got from the zone leaders today) so we are more than stoked to have it. Its going to be a good Thanksgiving. Other than that, that was the week. ?´s

  • I have noticed in your photos that you are not wearing your glasses. Are the contacts working out? Will you need more?

Yes, it's a lot nicer to not have to push my greasy glasses up on my nose again and again on a hot day while teaching (that was the biggest problem). And yes, I could use some more.

  • We had the Primary Program today and, of course, I cried my way through it. Do they do a primary program there?

Not yet. I presume it would take about 10 years to make something like that function down here but we´ll wait for the day. How was the primary program?

  • How are things going with investigators?

Great-great. We have about 8 or so progressing and all of them are working with members. That’s the key: Members. But yeah, its going amazingly fantastic with them.

  • Are you reading your scriptures in English, Spanish, or both? How do you feel about your Spanish these days?
Book of Mormon in Spanish, pretty much always but yes, on occasion I crack open my English scriptures, especially to read the Bible. The Bible in Spanish is just about the trickiest thing alive. The Book of Mormon—not at all tricky. But yeah, Spanish these days, no problem. Of course I keep studying and everything but now I just feel more than comfy with it, its just become 2nd natureish now.

  • What is your favorite part of PMG? What would you suggest the kiddies study?

I love chapter 10: “How to begin to teach” and, of course, the lessons in chapter 3. My advice to is to really learn the lessons—to find the scriptures that coordinate with the principle in the leccion. If you read those lessons and get familiar with them it will make all the difference.

  • Are you being extra careful in your Mr. Electricity shower?

Always, señor.

  • What is the Argentinean take on deodorant? Do they use it? (I know, it is important to know).

Yeah, for the most part. They always have the wonderful gift of axe body spray here (sarcastic joy)! But yeah, for the most part everyone is pretty good about that. It's the brushing and cleaning of teeth that is the big factor.

Well fimlys, I best be going. We've got to set up the oven before the day's end. Man, a year huh? I was just reading my journal entries from a year ago. It's so crazy to see the transition and changes from then to now. A lot has changed but one thing hasn’t changed and that is that I still love you guys so much. I'm so thankful to be here doing this work. It is true and I'm eternally grateful for it.

And now, a toast! Raise your marshmallow stick for another grand year! Peace out familys. I´ll be home in less than a year. Crazy thought, ha-ha. I love you, it´s all good!

Con amor,

Russ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment