Monday, April 23, 2012

Brady Bunch And Booze Cake

What up home skillets?

Its ya’ boy here! How goes the good fight? I’m glad to hear the week went well and you’re all doing great, that’s what I like to hear. Also,  hooooooollllllyyyyy amazing PARAGUAY, Zach! That is so cooooool!!! Half of my district at the MTC is in Asunción (‘cept I can’t remember if they are north or south). But if you run into elders Bingham, Leechman, Isrealson, May, or my tri-comp elder Beal (call him "sweet, sweet Bealy Boy" he´ll love it!) then tell them elder Allphin sent ya. They are like my brothers, those boys, those boys. And Davis, Lima Peru—sick! Elder Mori, our penchmate, is from Peru and I presume that all Peruanos are about 3ft tall like him but anyway, I digress.

I guess I’ll start off by saying sorry about last week’s letter. It wasn’t fair ‘cause my comp's almost always (I use the word “always” carefully) chill but he just sent me over the edge right before I started typing you guys last week so I guess I was venting. Sorry about that. The dude is ok. Yes, we are opposites and he doesn’t follow President Hinckley’s “Don’t take yourself too seriously” mantra. He can also be one of those "don’t joke around with him" guys. For example:  We were planning a zone meeting happening in a couple of weeks and he said Pres. wanted us to sing at it so I asked, "Are we supposed to sing like a Brady Bunch kind of a thing?"  He responded very seriously, "No, I don’t think the President would like that". We also have some donkeys by our pench and Elder Rasmussen and I would have endless fun talking about those "asses" over there. I’m afraid if I dared mention the slightest donkey joke to my new comp I would be in danger of the council. But I can bear up with your advice. Thank you for the suggestions in your letters (and for sending Steve Brule.) I’m glad to hear this really is just some kind of mission puberty. Your suggestions helped a lot, I’m going to apply them post haste. Thank you, thank you so much!

Anywho, this week was good; slow, but good. We have a new investigator that is friends with Maxi and Noelle. Her name is Gisela and she is a few weeks away from being baptized. She is super cool. She has a 3 year old daughter who is very funny and we had lunch with her yesterday and she and I talked about Jake and the Neverland Pirates (which they have here) and all that jazz. I have a feeling Molly and I will pick up where we left off when I get home cause she will be 3 then.

I also got to jam with Ras Trent. This Ras guy was just jamming outside and he had an extra guitar so I started jamming with him. It was soooooo cool! ‘Cept he was pretty fried. He said the closing prayer after our discussion and in the prayer he asked that he and I could get big in the U.S.  with "our band" and that we would make millions....I pray for the same thing.

I had the best cake of my life this week. It was so chocolately and tasty and I really wanted to know the recipe. The lady we got the cake from said it’s "easy to make.  After the cake is cooked just pour a bunch of booze on it".  She was serious, it was a cake with alcohol in it (and not baked in). I just laughed and laughed said “oops” but my comp was very nervous about it so called the zone leaders to see if it was ok to eat...goodness sakes!
I also went on divisions with elder Habel this week and it was super awesome. He is a good kid.  He is way cool and it’s always good to have another friend in the mish.
And on the “whoa” side of things, we are teaching a girl and her boyfriend. The girl is pregnant (sooooo common here) but turns out she is14.  Yeah, a 14 year-old pregnant girl who got pregnant when she was 13.....so how ‘bout that, yikes!

It has been a little cold this week so after a hard, long day's work I made some hot chocolate (which you have to make out of Nesquik...don’t cringe) and elder Mori was wondering what I was doing. I simply told him, "bate bate chocolate" which he thought was an absolute hoot! He is a really cool, funny, good kid. He brings light and happiness into the pench and yet he can still fit into the palm of my hand!
But other than that, this week has been pretty normal. The dollar is still at 5 pesos, the pant suit is still king around here, you still find good-sized veins and feathers in your chicken at lunch, and every time at church, the congregation continuously requests we all sing "Secret Prayer" at every single sacrament meeting.  Something has got to be done about that, in the words (and voice) of Lois from Malcolm in the Middle "I HAVE HAD  IT!!!"

Well anyways, onto questions, kiddies!
  • How are you doing on sunscreen?  Can you get more if you need it?
I’m good so far with the sunscreen. I used a lot when I first got here but I hardly use it now cause the clouds are always in the way and it’s getting cold.
  • Is there anything we can send you?
Yes, there is something you could get for me. As I have been showing our investigators pictures of like you guys (which is super awesome, they love it) they always ask if I have pictures of my friends. So maybe you could hack onto facebook and find some
pictures with me and my friends and print them off or something like that.

  • Are your glasses holding up okay?
Yes, they are working out smoothly but I have been talking with some missionaries and they said that even here they use contacts. I’m intrigued.  What is you guy’s opinion on wearing contacts here?
  • Did your baptisms go through?
No, not this week, alas, but this next week we are hoping to have one for sures!
  • Did you get your last packages?
Yes I did. They arrived fine (they smell like America!) They always arrive in tip-top shape, thank you so very much!
  • If you want to buy something, go ahead and get some money from your account.
Ok cool, I will for sure do that. I have been talking with this kid about buying a charango so is it cool if I withdraw from the account this week?
  • Any funny stories?
The donkey and Brady bunch stories were the ones I was going to tell you last week but don’t worry, me thinks there will be much more to come!

Well, that’s about it from me this week. Sorry I didn’t have time to write you, Lou Lou Bell, but thanks for the letter and I do loves ya' a whole bunch and I hope you have a great week as well.  Dad, I had a dream last night that I was at the house of one of your companions from your mission and he showed me your Book of Mormon from your mission. You had written notes on the sides of the pages in it and on one pages you wrote in big, pink, super-girly handwriting: "The Lord loves ya'--Don´t ya' forget it".  I believe giving me that dream is proof the Lord has a sense of humor.  At least that’s what I think, ha-ha!

Thank you so much for all your good, home-filled letters and for your prayers and sacrifices. This week went by really well and I felt more comfortable and happy even in ridiculous situations. I love you all and miss you so much. I hope you have a fantasmic week.
I love you. It’s all good!


Con Amor,

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment